Tuesday, September 21, 2010

And the Verdict: Cows Milk Protein Allergy

I have added back essentially all foods I typically eat except soy and dairy. It is looking like Olivia has cows milk protein allergy. My biggest question is why it took 5 weeks of avoiding dairy (then soy) to see a result. I would encourage each mom to consider this and discuss their options with the Pediatrician. If the infant is growing well and proves to not be anemic (can have a blood test to know this) then completing a trial elimination for a few additional weeks may result in resolution.

A resource I added titled "Diagnosis and management of cows milk protein allergy in children" (http://adc.bmj.com/content/92/10/902.full.pdf) suggests avoidance of cows milk protein for up to 4 weeks if the infant has allergic colitis (in other words - blood in stool). The article also suggested other foods to avoid if having severe reactions without resolution.

1 comment:

  1. An additional resource I added for that reviews diagnosis of cows milk protein allergy includes:
    Approach to milk protein allergy in infants - see it below.

    ReplyDelete