Thursday, August 5, 2010

Week 1: Eliminating for Olivia

Olivia was born the end of June and by her 3 week birthday her weight was still below her birth weight and she began to starting to have blood in her stools. So begins learning to eat for Olivia.

As a Registered Dietitian I know all of the nutrition benefits of breast milk but as a first time mom I now understand some women's desire to breast-feed. For me it is a hormonally driven desire in addition to a knowledge driven desire so if I can do it I will.

I hope this blog will be a resource as I go down the path of discovering Olivia's allergies. I hope to link to articles, websites and recipes that provide a source of information.


Today we start with our dietary story:
Week 1 and 2: We eliminated dairy and soy from my diet and continued to have blood in her stool. 1-2 diapers every 3-4 days. Dairy allergy is the number 1 allergy in infants. (see the kellymom link below)
Now it is week 3 and I have started an elimination diet - no dairy, no soy, no corn, no nuts, no wheat, no peanuts, no eggs. I have also added to this list a few potentials that I had been eating a lot of lately - no tomatoes, no peaches, no citrus, no quinoa.

Because I am needing nutrition for lactation I make sure I have all the food groups represented (except dairy - but I will get to that).and do not restrict caloric intake.
Grain: Brown Rice. Brown Rice Noodles. PLAIN Rice cakes (Tried Quinoa but ended up with a blood diaper within 4 hours - not sure if it was really from the quinoa at this point).
Protein: Organic Chicken, Turkey, Buffalo, Lamb and beans
Fruit: Apples, Pears and Plums and berries (except strawberries)
Vegetables: Sweet potato, summer squash, carrots, celery, all greens (lettuce, kale, etc.)
High Calcium Foods: This is where it gets tough greens are considered high in calcium but remember lactating women need 1000 mg per day. (Reference DRI Tables: fnic.nal.usda.gov)
I plan to include non-dairy calcium sources such as fortified rice milk, greens and molasses (See http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/calcium/ for more ideas)

Here we go.........





No comments:

Post a Comment