Sunday, August 22, 2010

Week 3-4: The challenge

It has been about 2 weeks since Olivia has had a bloody stool. Yeah! So this week starts the challenge.
When completing an elimination diet it is recommended that you challenge the food for 3 days before moving on to the next food. If symptoms arise you must cease intake of the food and wait for symptoms to clear.
I decided to start with eggs because I really miss eating breakfast out with friends. I can always order fresh fruit and poached egg (poached to avoid the potential butter used in a pan) but just fruit and tea is currently unacceptable.
Which foods you start with really differs with each practitioner. I like to start with foods you suspect are not a problem to allow easy addition of foods every 3 days.

The challenge plan:
Aug 22nd: Egg
Aug 25th: Tomato
Aug 28th: Almonds
then black beans, peaches, citrus, corn, peanuts, shellfish, quinoa every 3 days.

I will likely (unless recommended otherwise by her doctor/s) not reintroduce to my diet soy and dairy until she is at least 6 months old as this is very likely the source of her allergy.
I am also not challenging gluten foods due to my own intolerance....I have not eaten gluten in over 5 years.

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing woman! I'd have SUCH a hard time doing an elimination diet, even for someone as cute as Eddie or Olivia. Hopefully it is just the soy or dairy.

    ReplyDelete