Monday, August 16, 2010

Week 2: Professional Opinion

I was able to speak with the Pediatrician earlier this week and he had spoken with Peds GI doc who recommends powdered Primadophilus by Nature's Way. I noted when I went to purchase it that it is dairy/soy free but can contain traces of milk and dairy.

He is not sure about the Pancreatic enzymes as only 1 of the docs recommends this and it is not a general practice.
They both think that it is still cow's milk protein allergy.

An interesting article title Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of cow’s milk protein allergy in infants (http://adc.bmj.com/content/92/10/902.full ) suggested for breastfeeding mothers to avoid dairy for 2 weeks and up to 4 weeks before evaluation.
I have now been avoiding dairy for 4 weeks as of last Friday August 6th. Her last episode was on Sunday August 8th pretty close to the 4 week time table.
I don't regret starting an elimination diet so soon because after 2 weeks there was no resolution and I wanted to continue breastfeeding. I am being careful to include foods from each group daily and will soon add the foods back in.
I did start a Calcium supplement (found that Vitamer brand - private label for many natural food markets is allergen-free).

Dinner tonight:
Grilled chicken with potato salad (potato, black olives, chopped blanched zucchini, blanched onion, white wine vinegar, EVOO, salt, pepper, basil)
Sliced pears

No comments:

Post a Comment